Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Infinite Playlist

The other day while stretching at the Y I overheard a man's iPod (or whatever his music playing device of choice is.)  He had on these huge, awkward headphones and they were blaring.  Or maybe they weren't blaring.  Maybe they are just cheap and inefficient at containing sound.  Anyway, I could hear his music quite well.  It was Golden Oldies.  I mean real oldies from the 50s like Runaround Sue and The Wanderer.   I'm a big fan of the early days of rock 'n roll, but I'm not sure how I feel about it as workout music if you are under the age of 60.  Even then... eh... maybe not so much.  Anyway, this guy looked younger than that.   He was doing aggressive (and inefficient) looking crunches and he seemed really into it, like Rocky into it.  The music just didn't match.  That dude needs to download some Survivor.  Or Kenny Loggins.

It got me thinking how incredibly personal musical taste is.  As for me, when it comes to working out I want dance music.  Not so much techno or house because I like to sing along (I belt out Womanizer like nobody's business; get me drunk and I'll show you), but songs with a fast thumping bass line.  I once heard Penn, of Penn and Teller, sharing how skeeved he felt when he borrowed a friend's iPod.  If I'm remembering correctly, he said it was like going through his buddy's underwear drawer.  So I'll show you mine if you show me yours.   

My favorite, comfortable bikini briefs:
  • Madonna
  • Michael Jackson
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Aretha Franklin
My sexy, special occasion thongs:
  • Gwen Stefani
  • Pink
  • Lady Gaga
  • Robyn
  • Destiny's Child (and, of course, Beyonce's instant classic Single Ladies)
My embarrassing, for-hubby's-eyes-only lingerie:
  • Disco (a LOT of disco)
  • Britney Spears
  • Spice Girls 
  • Ke$ha (did you see her SNL appearance?  WTF was that all about?)

Tell me what I'm missing, folks.  I want to hear your "must download immediately" suggestions.  Now that I'm regularly exercising for over an hour at a time I need some new blood on my workout playlist.  Thanks!

k

  

2 comments:

MichelleO said...

Soundtracks work well for me, either when a song comes up on shuffle or I just listen through the whole thing. And I don't mean compilations, although those are good, too. I mean soundtracks to musicals. My fave is the Buffy musical episode (~35 minutes of song), but I also have Grease and Wizard of Oz on my mp3 player. It's like watching a movie.

K Fuji said...

I just added some songs from Grease. Great suggestion.