Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mommy Working Out

On Monday I officially started my triathlon training.  My baby (2 years old) wants desperately to follow in my footsteps so I'm constantly yelling at him to put down my free weights before he hurts himself.  Maybe someone should do the same for me.

I'm sore.

It's a good kind of sore though.  Right now.  I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow.  If I can type.  Last night I ran a 10k (6.2miles) at a 10-min mile pace.  I'm not gonna lie, it was rough.  I only hung in there because I was afraid if I tried to stop the treadmill I would lose my balance and fly off it thereby becoming a hilarious anecdote for someone at the Y to tell his  family later in the evening.  (Because, really, it would be hilarious to see someone fly off a treadmill, wouldn't it?)  So I just kept running and 62 minutes later I finished.  It's a good thing too because I'm registered to run a 10k in late September.  Well, I'm not actually required to run it, I could walk it, but now that I'm a triathlete (and I'm stifling giggles as I type that) I had better start seriously running.  This 10k is my first step on the road to triathlon town.

I'm also doing a program from beachbody.com called ChaLean Extreme.  It's mostly intense resistance training with a couple of superfun (read sarcastically), intense cardio and ab routines thrown in.  I'm now a month into the 3-month program and I'm surprised at how much I love it.  The routines are short, about 35 minutes, so that's a huge plus and I like the trainer, Chalene.  She should be annoying, but she's just so darn geniune.  I want to hang out with her.  And she's very motivating.  She's the one who planted the "I'm an athlete" seed in my head.  Now I can't stop it from growing.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Kendra - great blog! I really enjoyed reading it and can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing :)

MaryE said...

Hey Kendra - as a former cross country team mate, I am happy to cheer you on and keep you honest. Great goal, entertaining reading thus far, I have you bookmarked and look forward to the next installment

Elizabeth Murray said...

I love the look of your blog and its going to be so great to read about your training and cheer you on. Great idea!