Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Big Fat Spice

Yeah, they can barely sing and their lyrics are nonsense, but god help me, I love the Spice Girls.

You got a problem with that?

Girl Power*

You're welcome.

Oh, come on now.  You know as soon as I mentioned them you wanted to see a picture.

Seriously, I dare you to listen to Spice Up Your Life and not move.  Impossible.  If you claim you can do it well then, you, my friend, are a big fat liar.  Which reminds me of the point of this post...

I don't want to work out today.

I want to sit in my recliner, watch Project Runway (isn't this season fabulous?) and eat Chubby Hubby out of the container until my fingers go numb with cold and my spoon scrapes the bottom.

Nothing seems worth it today.  Not good health, not accomplishing a goal, not even rocking skinny jeans.  Nothing.

I don't remember what publication it was, but back in college I read an interview with the Spice Girls.  The only thing I recall about it was something that made me laugh out loud.  Melanie "Sporty Spice" Chisholm was lamenting her nickname.  She said (and I paraphrase) it's a lot of pressure to be "sporty" all the time and some mornings when her treadmill awaits her at 6:00a.m. she wishes she could just be Big Fat Spice.

HA!

Amen to that, sister!

Don't we all, Sporty?  Don't we all.


*Incidentally, while watching a few Spice Girl videos on youtube (all in the name of research, of course) it struck me how ironic it is that Victoria Beckham (nee Posh Spice) ended up being the most famous of the five since she didn't do anything except prance around in tiny dresses.  The other girls at least warbled verses here and there and busted a few real dance moves.  And now she's even more famous for... prancing around in tiny dresses.   I tell you what, that woman has got it figured out.  Forget the Dalai Lama.  I'm getting my life advice from Posh.

k


No comments: