Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Depressed

I tried on the pants today.

I know, I know.

Stupidest idea ever.

I feel dreadful.  Fall is creeping up on us and when it arrives my wardrobe will consist of only tops.  Adorable tops, true, but I'm crushed when I think of all those bottoms I can't get my bottom in.  Thank heaven leggings are fashionable at the moment because unless I lose at least 10lbs those and yoga pants are all I'll be wearing when the cold weather descends.

I should say I knew last year when I bought new clothes it was likely I would gain some weight in the upcoming months.  Because of health issues I had to do this ridiculously strict elimination diet to rule out food intolerances.  I've never been one to easily lose weight, but the pounds melted off shockingly fast.  I actually got to the point where I thought I was too skinny and I never, ever thought I would think that.  So I wasn't opposed to fattening up a little when I began eating regularly again, but something somewhere in the past few months went horribly wrong because I'm heavier now then I have been in about 7 years (not counting pregnancies).
  
It's beyond frustrating because I'm in the best shape of my life for cripes sake!  And my eating habits are not bad for how active I am.  They are certainly better than they were 18 months ago.  Something's out of whack.  I am taking some medication at night to help me sleep and one of the possible side effects is unexplained weight gain.  That could be it, I guess, but I hope not.  Choosing between fat and sleep?  Yeah, no contest.  I'd rather be a fat, well-rested, normal person than a thin, crazed zombie.  Been there, done that.  I could just buy new pants, of course, I'm honestly not that unhappy with the way I look, but I'm not comfortable.  These extra pounds just don't feel right.  It feels like PMS weight.  TMI, I'm sure, but the ladies will know why that's significant.

I think I need to do another elimination diet.  Drat.  So not excited about that.  But I've suspected for a while there's something I'm eating that's causing me to bloat.  It's probably gluten.  I'm kinda hoping it's gluten because eliminating that is comparatively easy to avoiding dairy or eggs (2 other things I'm supposedly sensitive to).

So now I know what to do, the question is when?  It's best to start with a 24-48 hour detox fast.  That means I need a couple of days where I don't have much scheduled.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  Then I'll need to eat super strict for at least 2 weeks.  That is a complete PITA because I have to bring my own food most places I go.  Not to mention I have to write down every little thing I eat and monitor my symptoms.  After that, assuming I'm feeling better, I can start gradually working things in and, hopefully, figure out my trigger food(s).  Double drat.  SO NOT FUN!

Looking at my calendar, I'm going to block out the first weekend in September for the fast (yes, I know it's Labor Day, but it means hubby will be home) and then I'll be a GF carnivegan (gluten-free, meat-eating vegan).  I've done it before, for a much longer period of time.  I can do it again.  I've got some great recipes and I'll most likely quickly drop weight, but that's not why I'm doing it.  My system feels unbalanced and I need to figure out why.  It's more than vanity, it's health.  But it still blows.

P.S.  Did I mention sugar is a big no-no?  Well it is.  (super sad face emoticon here)

P.P.S.   Love you, J.M.  We'll always be BFFs, no matter the circumstances.  Big hugs.


k

2 comments:

Jaime said...

First of all I want to tell you you look amazing! In fact, after the BBQ on Saturday John said that he has never seen you look so good. (However, it could have been the sexy dress ;). Seriously though he said he couldn't figure it out at first but then he said you just look a lot healthier. "Not so skinny". Second of all. Thank you for listening to me today and being an awesome friend. I really needed someone to talk to and even with Grant screaming in the back (haha) you were still there for me. Thank you. I love you! Lady Gaga here we come!!

MaryE said...

Hey, I have been GF since I was 20 and would be happy to swap coping strategies, particularly when you need portable food. I know the out-of-balance ick. You will feel much better when you figure it out. Good luck!