Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Few Thoughts on Being a Stay-at-Home Mom

I complain about my kids a lot and perhaps some are getting a false impression of how I feel about being a stay-at-home mom.   So, for the record, let me be very clear;  I absolutely love being a stay-at-home mom.  I can't imagine anything different.  I am doing the most important thing I will ever do with my life and I am acutely aware of that.  It's a relatively short span of time children are so dependent.  I grouse about it because raising children is absurdly complicated.

I'm going to be so bold as to suggest I am speaking for most stay-at-home parents when I say I do not feel I'm wasting my talents or biding time until I can do something truly worthwhile; after all what responsibility is more monumental than raising our future citizens?  Stay-at-home parents deserve as much respect for our work as anyone else, probably more.  Our issues are valid and we have earned the right to complain about them.  It doesn't mean we don't love our kids, regret putting careers on hold, are not capable, or are looking for a way out.  We're just exercising the inherent human right to bitch about our jobs.


k



No comments: