Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Workout "Fashion"

Oh the things I've seen.

It's bewildering what some deem appropriate workout attire.  I can't claim to be the most stylish wannabe athlete, but my goodness....

There's a lady at the Y who regularly works out in a faded ribbed tank top (looks comfortable), cut-off sweat pants (I'm with you), and... pearls (WTF)?  I understand not wanting to leave pearls in a Y locker, but the so-not-chic rest of the outfit renders them conspicuous.  In my humble opinion, if you work out in pearls you should also model the very latest from Nordstrom's active line.  (BTW I can't believe there are woman paying upwards of $70 to sweat in their boot cut yoga pants.)

Then I am often startled by the, ahem, "more mature" gentleman confidently striding about in skin-tight cycling gear.  Gotta admit he's in fantastic shape, but must he prance all around the Y in spandex?  I swear he's around every corner.  Why is he even wearing a cycling outfit at the Y?  For spinning class?  That seems extreme.  Admittedly I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there's no advantage to being aerodynamically streamlined on a stationary bike.  Besides the shorts leave nothing to the imagination and I have a very active imagination.

And, guys, in case there is any doubt I assure you shorts with black shoes and black socks pulled up over your calves do not look any better on a treadmill than they do at popular European tourist attractions.

But my all-time fave is the guy on the elliptical wearing a flannel shirt, jeans, and work boots.  Not work out boots, work boots.  I think he came straight from the garage.  It's even funnier he was on the elliptical and not the treadmill, right?  So wish I had a picture.



k


3 comments:

Beth said...

I am always amazed at the people wearing nice clothes. I saw a girl the other day wearing a nice shirt with ruffled sleeves. It could not be comfortable and then she had on sketchers ballet flats. Luckily she was riding the bike because if she tried to run in those her feet, ankles, knees and back would be really messed up. Also, I do not know if any men look good in spandex.

DJG said...

I use to see a guy in the halls of UMD all the time and then see him later in the gym wearing whatever clothes he had on earlier (usually corduroys and a t-shirt). He just didn't use workout clothes. Weird.

Daddy-O said...

As I cycler who has taken gym spinning classes, I'll defend anyone who wears Spandex cycling togs even if their "goods" are as bad as mine (sorry for that image) as loose clothing can chafe uncomfortably. I just hope and pray nobody starts a "People of Total Fitness" site ala Wal-Mart patrons.