Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Why Does Fasting Go So Slowly?


Seriously, it should be called "lasting" because it makes your day last forever.
  
I'm just over halfway through the second day of my 2 day fast.  This is physically the most uncomfortable stretch, but psychologically the easiest because I can look forward to breakfast tomorrow. It's sobering to know some people live every day feeling hungry.  I acknowledge how blessed I am to be making a conscious choice to fast.  Not everyone is so lucky to have access to a stocked pantry and fridge a few feet away at all times.  At least I know tomorrow I eat.   Humbling.

A friend asked if I was fasting for religious reasons.  At first I said no, but upon contemplation I appreciate it as a spiritual experience.  It is cleansing, not only bodily, but also mentally.  It resets my metabolism and my thinking.  It wipes the slate clean and prompts introspection.  There's something to be said for occasional suffering.  I think it's true you learn what you're made of and what's important when you risk, endure, and prevail.

Tonight I dream of cereal.



k   

No comments: