Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Digress

This is not at all related to training for the triathlon, just a short anecdote that will be extra appreciated by those who have experienced the socially awkward weirdness that is Facebook.  The more I think about it the more it cracks me up because it's got me reminiscing about the socially awkward weirdness that was me.

When I joined FB a year and a half or so ago one of the first friend requests I received was from someone I had a crush on in 3rd grade.  (BTW I think it's a safe bet he doesn't read this blog.)  We went all the way through school together, but I wouldn't call us friends.  Even when I was crushing on him, we didn't talk much.  He seemed like the quiet type and was sporty so we didn't hang with the same crowds.  This is probably a good time to mention back then I wore glasses resembling these:


Seriously.  The only difference is mine were purple and bifocals.  Seriously.  I had bifocals when I was eight.  Also, I was (still am) a short, freckly, redhead.  My coolest outfit was a pair of hand-me-down Jordache jeans and a blouse adorned with a unicorn head (rainbow mane, of course).  My hair was cut in a style that can only be described as Sally Jessy Raphael.  And to top it all off my friends and I were certified nerds (think Krelboynes from the tv show Malcolm in the Middle).  So, yeah, I was flattered this guy remembered me.

We both post on FB fairly regularly, but haven't had any direct communication with each other until about a week ago when we had the following exchange, initiated by him, through FB email.

------ September 10 at 8:00pm
Hey...how goes it? Things are well for me. I can remember the last time we talked but am sorry we haven't since then. I hope all is well with you and your family. Just wanted to say hi.

-

KFuji September 11 at 8:25pm
Hi,

Things are for pretty great for me too, I'm happy to report. Looks like you've got a houseful of beautiful ladies. I'm drowning in transformers and legos myself.

When was the last time we talked? I'll be honest and say the best memory I have of us is on the bus in 3rd and 4th grade since I had a big crush on you back then.

K

 ------ September 12 at 7:42am
Didn't you make an appearance at my wedding reception? I thought we had talked for a while, back then...15 years ago.

-

 KFuji September 12 at 11:22am
Nope. Interesting. I wonder who you're thinking of? I'd like to meet her.

K
________________________________________________________


End of communication.

So much for him remembering me.

I wonder who in the hell he thinks I am?



k





2 comments:

Jaime said...

NO WAY!! You will have to let us know if he contacts you again. That is crazy. I love your description of yourself back then. I could visualize every single detail... and I think I had the same shirt.

DJG said...

Hah... that FB conversation is really funny.

By the way, that's just how the Skis roll -- nerdy youths that (kinda) grow into their own.