Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Why I Ran Today

WARNING:  I'm cranky.

I planned on using the elliptical and keeping it low impact today, but my plans abruptly changed when I got to the Y Family Center because Lady Loud was already on one of the ellipticals.

Who is Lady Loud, you ask?

Well, I don't rightly know since I have never met her (on purpose), but I do know quite a bit about her.  For instance I know she has a teenage son with a beautiful girlfriend he can't keep his hands off (see my post, Tales From the Y) and that his delivery was long and arduous (or as she calls it "the BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVER!)  I also know prior to today she had never before seen an episode of Everybody Hates Chris, but now thinks it "precious" and "hilarious."  And, most irritatingly, I know she has a younger son, Maximilian, whom she laughingly refers to as her "mid-life baby" who does NOT come to the Y with her, yet she still works out in the Family Center (again see, Tales From the Y, for my thoughts on THAT.)

In the beginning, I thought she actually knew the women she was talking too.  The details she shares are, I think, fairly intimate.  So she has these long, intimate, LOUD conversations with people and then when they inevitably leave (Lady Loud works out forever) she cheerfully asks their names and shouts at their departing backs, "I'll be here tomorrow!"  She'll talk to anyone at any time about any thing.  She is a talking magician, conjuring conversations out of thin air.  I avoid her at all costs even if it means my knees will sulk and punish me for the rest of the day.  I have absolutely no interest in hearing about her convoluted PTA drama.  Well, strike that.  If I'm completely honest with myself I kinda do want to (over)hear her drama, but I don't want to listen to her loudly fake-whisper about her drama.  I don't know if she's lonely, compulsive, oblivious or what, but I do know I'd rather listen to whining kids than her shouted life happenings.  And that's saying a lot.

See?  Cranky.


k

3 comments:

Susan said...

OMG I totally know who you are talking about! She is ALWAYS there and she annoys the crap out of me. Everytime I see her I cringe. It seems like she is literally there for hours and hours adn she will just suck you into an annoying conversation. Why do people work out in the family center when they don't have kids??!!!! I would never subject myself to that if I didn't have to!

DJG said...

Is listening to an iPod not a big enough deterrent?

K Fuji said...

Susan, I KNEW you would know exactly who she is! And, no, DJG, a mere iPod does not stop her. She'll wait until one of your kids needs you and you have to take the headphones off. Or she'll catch you as you got on or off the machine.