Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's Time

If I'm going to consider myself officially training for a triathlon I need to start swimming and biking.  I've been putting it off because, well, because swimming is hard and I don't have a bike.  Pretty good reasons, but the time for reasons excuses has passed.  I need to get my butt in the water and on a bike.  Not at the same time though.

So I looked up the pool schedule at my local Y to find a time I can drown swim laps.  I didn't realize Y employees are comedians.  They listed the morning lap swim as starting at 4:45 a.m.  A.M.  As in 4:45 in the morning.  I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt.  Seriously, hold on, it's hard to type with tears in my eyes.

Ok, I've recovered my composure.  Swimming at 4:45 in the morning?  That is just INSANE!  Who is even working at the Y at 4:45 in the morning, much less swimming?  I probably don't need to tell you that this night-owl triathlete will not be swimming, or doing anything other than dreaming, at 4:45 in the morning.  That means I need to find another time.  Unfortunately, the rest of the schedule is hard to decipher.  I guess I'll have to ask someone when I'm there tonight.  I'm telling you all this to hold myself accountable.  I am going to start swimming laps at least once a week starting next week.

As for the biking, for now I'll be doing that on a stationary bike since, although a friend graciously offered to let me borrow her bike, I don't have a helmet.  I'll start doing the stationary bike at least once a week starting tonight until I can get a properly fitted helmet.

Alright, that's enough goals for one day.



k

1 comment:

Book Mama said...

You can do it! Trust me. It hurts to get up that early for the first week or so, but then you get used to it. You just have to get used to going to bed a little earlier... Just say to yourself: "I'm an athlete, and this is what athletes do." And then jump right in with all the other sleepy-eyed swimmers.