Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Gobble Gobble GACK!

Like the tasty birds that give their lives for our nourishment, my Turkey Trot was sacrificed this year.

During a record cold snap our furnace died.

The day before Thanksgiving.

It's all good now, but it was chaos for 24 hours and in all the craziness the Turkey Trot was chopped.  However, I'm not disappointed because some truly awful weather accompanied that cold snap.  Before discovering our furnace was kaput I had already decided not to take a chance driving up and down the hilly winding roads to get to and from the race when snow and freezing rain where predicted nor did I want to risk injury slipping on ice.  One of my life goals is to never spend a holiday in the ER.

So no Turkey Trot this year, but I did exercise over the weekend and ran a 5k yesterday.  It was freezing and my time sucked.  I guess all the rich food is catching up with me.  Oh well, tis the season.

In honor of the holiday here's some things I'm thankful for as an athlete:
  • Wide waist bands in workout pants.
  • Electrolyte jelly beans.
  • My iPod.
  • My supportive and enthusiastic blog followers.
  • My understanding husband who never hardly ever complains about the time I spend training. (Love you, hon!)
  • My darling boys who give me a reason to take care of myself.
How about you?  What are you thankful for?



k

3 comments:

Book Mama said...

1. my husband and kids--no jokes there
2. being able to say "I'm pregnant!" when eating ____ or acting like a ____(fill in the blank)
3. anyone who reads my blog (thanks mom)
4. being able to throw my dogs outside when they are getting on my nerves

Maureen said...

Funny, unlike you, your brother and I have apparently decided that holidays (esp. the ones we are hosting) are the perfect times to end up in Urgent Care. It is now one of our life goals to break that habit-quickly.

Also, I am thankful for:
-actually having a dishwasher this Thanksgiving
-lucking out with awesome people I can call friends in my grad school cohort
-officially having siblings! (yay-you're legally my sister now-haha)
-My sweet, protective, witty, hilarious husband
-and more...but, I am sleepy

Dr. Auntie M said...

Although I did find that being full made running harder last week, I have also found that not running for a week also makes running harder. You once told me that you gain speed and endurance quickly when you first start, and now I know that you also lose speed and endurance quickly when you first start.