Follow along as I, an average citizen, train for my first ever triathlon.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WTF Did I Sign Up For?

Holy hell, 13 miles is fa... as in "fa, a long, long way to run."

I was cocky after completing that 10k in September.  What's another 7 miles, I thought?  I've already run half of that, how hard can it be?

Turns out, pretty fucking hard.

Damn you, endorphins!  You got me into this mess.

I finally got around to mapping out (not running, driving) 13 miles the other day and I wanted to cry when the odometer hit 6.5 and I realized how far away from my house I was.  When it finally clicked over to 13 at the top of my street, I about had a panic attack.  And I've only got 14 days more to train since I'm not going to run the two days before.  On Monday I ran just over 7.5 miles.  Today I did 10 miles on the elliptical.  I'd like to run the entire distance at least twice before my race (and, yes, I'm already registered so if I back out now that's $65 down the drain), but that's hard to imagine right now.

Wish me luck.


k

3 comments:

Dr. Auntie M said...

Good luck! Is this the triathlon, or only running? You're still way better than me, though! I still can't run my entire 3 miles. I get bored after a mile or so and walk for a bit.

K Fuji said...

This is just running. Oh, I get bored after 3 miles too, Fortunately, boredom is a motivator to keep running so I get it over with faster.

Lauren C said...

I hope this went well. I used an elliptical machine to train for my last race and it helped a lot!